Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2024-07-23)

On Fri, Aug 02, 2024 at 02:07:18AM GMT, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > The approved/second/reworked version of this _did_ take lots of people's
> > concerns into account. There were/are still some few people who still
> > didn't like it for whatever reasons, but I think it's pretty clear that
> > concerns were defintely heard. The change owners were very patient and
> > responded to tons of people. You cannot sometimes please everyone.
>
> Well, here, you are making the next fallacious assumption that is so common
> in the Fedora Change process (after the "change is always good" one), and
> that is that every unacceptable Change proposal can be reworked to make it
> acceptable. That is fallacious because some Changes are unacceptable by
> design, i.e., the whole concept of the Change is unacceptable. E.g., IMHO,

I am not making any such assumputions. Let me be clear (and speaking
only for myself):

Changes are not always good
Not every unacceptable/rejected change can be reworked to be acceptable.

Where did I say otherwise?

I think its good for us to push on change proposals and if the
submitters are willing to compromise to get more support thats great. If
they aren't, thats fine too, and the proposal can just be rejected if it
doesn't have enough support. I think often there's things change owners
don't think of and are happy to adjust, or things they would rather not
change, but they have empathy and make what changes they are willing to.

> telemetry is always an unacceptable privacy invasion, and as such, no amount
> of reworking of the Change proposal can possibly make it acceptable. Such an
> unfixable Change just has to be finally (i.e., irrevocably) rejected.

Yes, your position is clear, I (and apparently others) don't share it.

kevin