Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2024-07-23)

On Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 03:27:01AM +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 24. Juli 2024 02:52:44 CEST schrieb Gary Buhrmaster:
> > On Tue, Jul 23, 2024 at 10:38 PM Kevin Kofler via devel
> > <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > And this one is yet another case of FESCo rubberstamping a change without
> > > even any dissenting vote despite loads of negative mailing list feedback.
> >
> > How can one determine "loads"?  Since the
> > feedback itself is opt-in, no statistically
> > valid conclusion can be reached based on
> > the feedback received(*).  FESCo needs to
> > review the feedback that was received,
> > and use their best judgement as to whether
> > to approve or disapprove, and no one
> > should expect there to be a dissenting
> > vote just because of negative feedback.
>
> I would actually expect FESCo to unanimously vote against the feature if the
> feedback on the mailing list is overwhelmingly negative. Or at least a
> majority of FESCo, if it is controversial. But unanimous approval shows that
> the feedback on the mailing list has been completely ignored, making the
> feedback process entirely useless.

There are many strange assumptions and logical gaps in this…

1. The feedback was generally _positive_. For example, check
   the "straw poll" on discourse [1]. 75% in favour, 21% opposed.

2. Even if there _is_ negative feedback, you expect that _some_ FESCo
   members would vote against. But each member evaluates the issue
   independently, and it's quite usual that they each individually
   think that the positives outweigh the negatives.

   (Or in other words, even if the proposal is not a "slam dunk" and
   each of the people voting consider the decision as hard, the
   outcome of the vote can still be unanimous.)

3. FESCo vote is not just based on feedback. It's also based on the
   evaluation of the feature. I look at the feedback, but I don't just
   count the voices, but try to evaluate each opinion on merit. And
   even if there were no feedback, I would still research and evaluate
   the proposal before voting.

4. Saying that the feedback was ignored is disingeneous. V2 of the
   proposal is significantly changed in response to feedback provided.

Dunno, I have the feeling that the vote did not follow _your_ opinion,
and you just cannot accept that people came to different conclusions
than you did.

[1] https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/f42-change-proposal-opt-in-metrics-for-fedora-workstation-system-wide/124325/2

Zbyszek