Re: F42 Change Proposal: Enable Drm Panic (system-wide)

On 15/07/2024 18:13, Barry wrote:

On 15 Jul 2024, at 14:05, Jocelyn Falempe <jfalempe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you want to see the kernel boot log, before userspace is started,
you can add "init=/does_not_exist drm.panic_screen=kmsg" to the kernel command line. It will panic, and you will see all relevant logs with drm_panic.
It's not ideal, but that should at least allows to see those logs.

And if the kernel hangs without panic then we have a blank screen to stare at right?

Yes, but I don't think this happens often in practice. And in this case there is little chance the kernel logs will help you much anyway, because when it hangs, you don't have the call trace, and the last kernel log might be unrelated. For this case, if you have an older kernel that boots, you can run a bisection, and find the root cause reliably.

This is going to make Fedora very hard to support and push users to another distro without this “feature” I suspect.

I hope most Fedora users experience a clean boot, and don't have to change the kernel command line in grub to debug. Also the bugs found with drm_panic will be fixed upstream, for all distro, so the whole ecosystem will benefit from that.

I will also check if I can patch VT_CONSOLE, so that it can be disabled on the kernel command line, instead of compile time, to avoid this gap.

I'm currently preparing a test kernel, so that you can test on your own, and report if there are other corner cases to fix.

Barry

Best regards,

--

Jocelyn