Re: F42 Change Proposal: Enable Drm Panic (system-wide)

On Mon, 15 Jul 2024 at 13:28, Jocelyn Falempe <jfalempe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15/07/2024 18:13, Barry wrote:
> >
> >> On 15 Jul 2024, at 14:05, Jocelyn Falempe <jfalempe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> If you want to see the kernel boot log, before userspace is started,
> >> you can add "init=/does_not_exist drm.panic_screen=kmsg" to the kernel command line. It will panic, and you will see all relevant logs with drm_panic.
> >> It's not ideal, but that should at least allows to see those logs.
> >
> > And if the kernel hangs without panic then we have a blank screen to stare at right?
>
> Yes, but I don't think this happens often in practice. And in this case
> there is little chance the kernel logs will help you much anyway,
> because when it hangs, you don't have the call trace, and the last
> kernel log might be unrelated.
> For this case, if you have an older kernel that boots, you can run a
> bisection, and find the root cause reliably.
>
> > This is going to make Fedora very hard to support and push users to another distro without this “feature” I suspect.
>
> I hope most Fedora users experience a clean boot, and don't have to
> change the kernel command line in grub to debug.

Most Fedora users probably do not have to do so as much as they would
in the past, but I can say that many Fedora developers may have to
regularly do so. Depending on the hardware, I have to do this at least
once a major kernel update or updates to systemd, dracut or related
packages.

That said, I needed to talk my 78 year old Dad through command line
grub debug issues about 3 times in the last year with needing to get
to a VT in order to debug things due to various boot-time bugs that
made it into Fedora after release. His laptop is a Dell Latitude so
not that odd but video drivers went odd and another time dracut didn't
grab a driver needed.

> Also the bugs found with drm_panic will be fixed upstream, for all
> distro, so the whole ecosystem will benefit from that.
>
> I will also check if I can patch VT_CONSOLE, so that it can be disabled
> on the kernel command line, instead of compile time, to avoid this gap.
>
> I'm currently preparing a test kernel, so that you can test on your own,
> and report if there are other corner cases to fix.
>

> > Barry
> >
> Best regards,
>
> --
>
> Jocelyn
>
> --

Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard
battle. -- Ian MacClaren