Re: F41 Change Proposal: Anaconda as native Wayland application (System Wide)

mkolman@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> To only change that could impact spins is that we would ideally like to
> drop the X11-only libXklavier library we have used for keaboard
> handling so far and replace it with the universal localed keyboard
> handling API. IIRC Jiri Konecny already notified all spin owners and
> started some discussions about this.

Unfortunately, the "universal localed keyboard handling API" is not as
universal as your wording appears to imply. At least, not yet. Historically,
the API was primarily intended to set the systemwide default locale and the
systemwide default keyboard layout, requiring a reboot to apply. So getting
the changes picked up in real time is something the desktop has to support
explicitly. (And that support may also have to be enabled explicitly, e.g.,
KWin requires the --locale1 option.)

I also wonder how this is expected to work in a multi-user setup (where some
users may want to use different locale, keyboard layout, etc. settings than
the system default), though in the context of installation, that is probably
a non-issue.

This of course also affects installers other than Anaconda, e.g., see also
the discussion under: https://github.com/calamares/calamares/pull/2180

        Kevin Kofler