Re: [Fedora-legal-list] Re: [SPDX] Mass license change GPLv2 to GPL-2.0-only

On Wed, 26 Jun 2024 at 05:48, Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 26. 06. 24 5:59, Richard Fontana wrote:

> >> I don't understand what is the benefit of doing this at all. Sorry.
> >
> > The benefit I see is that it immediately causes all license tags to
> > conform to the SPDX license expression standard, while also making it
> > very clear what parts of those license expressions are actually legacy
> > elements that have to be examined and replaced. (This assumes we
> > wouldn't use `LicenseRef-Callaway-` for any other purpose.)
>
> What is the benefit of that outcome?
>
> I understand the benefit of SPDX in general.
>
> I don't understand the benefit of converting everything to custom LicenseRef
> identifiers.
>
> We are already making it clear that the expressions are legacy by... being legacy.
>
> Clearly, I must miss something. What do we *gain* by causing all license tags
> to conform to the SPDX license expression standard despite actually just using
> the old tag with extra boilerplate?
>
> I am not trying to fight this decision, I am genuinely confused: What it is
> that makes us hurry this. Why cannot we keep the gradual conversion?

The following is just my take on this and probably not what Richard or
Miroslav (and others) are not thinking

The biggest reason to get as many licenses into the same format is to
help the growing number of Fedora Containers and Fedora Cloud users.
Various organizations ranging from Universities to small businesses
will be needing to add various 'auditing' tools for Software Bills of
Materials in the coming years for various regulatory reasons. Most of
this tooling is less than 'robust' and not easily fixed by the users
of the software. Running into non-standard fields just means whatever
software is rejected as not usable. Using something like
`LicenseRef-Callaway-GPLv2` can cut out the user problems while making
it clear to the project where work can be done in the future.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard