Re: F41 Change Proposal: Anaconda as native Wayland application (System Wide)

On 6/5/24 4:57 PM, Michael J Gruber wrote:
Doesn't this prove that it's really a VirtualBox problem, not a Fedora
problem?

I mean, we still want Fedora to run "everywhere", but the previous
discussion indicated a "Fedora problem", and your observations put
things into perspective.

Virtual machines have to sneak out of their virtual existence and
interact with the real world now and then, or they would be pointless,
so virtualization is ultimately a fudge.  The graphics side of it being
the most complex part of the fudge.

I agree it is the task of the virtualization engine to keep up with
guests developments and keep the fudge working, but Xorg works, and
Wayland doesn't, and as a user I don't really care who is at fault.

If there were a little more give and take there could be fewer
problems.  As I understand things, the rush to run Anaconda in Wayland
is going to break workflows because many folks DL the
Everything-Netinstall ISOs and use it to install anything.  Since the
move to Wayland is unnecessary, it seems like it could be delayed until
Wayland is better supported by the wider ecosystem.

Of all things, the installation mechanism should be chosen to be as
broadly compatible with as much as possible, and frankly Wayland is
currently not that.

That said, if my whole life was Linux, I would move to a QEMU/KVM only
workflow, but I still have one pesky Win box in my life that I can't get
rid of (at work) so VirtualBox for me still makes sense.

--
Ian Laurie
FAS: nixuser | IRC: nixuser