Re: small logic issue with system upgrades

> Am 23.05.2024 um 00:29 schrieb Marius Schwarz <fedoradev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Am 22.05.24 um 17:48 schrieb Alexander Sosedkin:
>> On Wed, May 22, 2024 at 4:34 PM Marius Schwarz <fedoradev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Were you following the steps outlined in
>>> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/upgrading-fedora-offline ?
>>>

> I'm under the impression, there is a small misunderstanding here: The upgrade worked as it should for the 23th time in a row :D

So, your server is running with F39 now?

> It's just, that > while < the upgrade process was running, there was the risk, that it or the connection fails, and in that case, there would not have been a way to fix it remotely because of the mismatch of openssl and openssh versions. (yes of course, an IPMI would be a way ).

Unfortunately, I don’t understand, what exactly the problem is. If you follow the procedure as described in the Quick Docs document mentioned above, there is no network connection while the actual update process is running. And even if there was one, you have no way of intervening in the process.

Probably I overlook something in your mail. But I would really like to understand your issue. We are always looking to improve Fedora Server. And I’m running a bunch of servers in a remote data center, too, w/o access to the console (but a temporary KVM in case of emergency). So I have the update adventure every 6 months as well.

> Yes, this is only relevant for remote-upgrades, but Fedora is a very good server distribution and widely spread ;)

Wholehearted Agreement   :-)

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora Docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast