Re: F41 Change Proposal - Reproducible Package Builds (System-Wide)

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 3:10 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Because this is written in Rust instead of Python, you will need a
> > build variant for *every* Python interpreter shipped in Fedora.
>
> No, just one one, at any given time.

Assuming that the marshalparser package can parse pyc files from newer
Python versions, I don't think this is necessary.

> Or in other words, it's the same as any application using Python in
> Fedora: it is built against some version of Python, usually the
> default one.
>
> (pyo3 has support for linking to the stable python abi, which
> theoretically would allow the program to be able to run with python
> versions newer than the one against which it was built. I didn't look
> at the details, so I don't know what would be needed to link it like
> that and whether that'd actually make things better for us.)

The functionality for building + linking only with the stable /
limited "abi3" CPython ABI is only relevant for *extension modules*,
i.e. Python modules that contain a native extension written in Rust.
This is not the case here - it's a Rust program that calls into
CPython (as opposed to the Python interpreter loading a native
extension module, which is effectively a "plugin" which is not linked
to libpython directly). add-determinism is linked *directly* to
libpython3.x.so, so it is only ever compatible with the major version
of the Python interpreter that it was built against.

Fabio