Re: F41 Change Proposal - Reproducible Package Builds (System-Wide)

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 09:42:27AM +0200, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> On sobota 13. dubna 2024 21:04:06, CEST Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> > > Yes, it currently pulls in python3-libs as a dependency, but not the
> > > rest of the Python stack. Ideally, the dependency on python3-libs will
> > > become optional, and we'll use it if found at runtime if found and
> > > ignore otherwise. (Anything that creates pyc files will have python
> > > installed, so it's fine if the pyc handler only works if there.)
> > > How to best do this is something that needs to be figured out…
> >
> > https://github.com/keszybz/add-determinism/pull/1 makes the dependency
> > on libpython optional. One option would be to compile the binary
> > twice, and use rich dependencies to install the heavyweight one if
> > python3 is installed. If somebody has a better approach, I'm all ears.
>
> I do not claim these are better approaches, but you could:
>
> - you could consider using tooling "from host", not "from chroot"
>   (adding a dependency to Mock seems just fine then)

Hmm, how would that work? We call mock, which calls systemd-nspawn,
which runs rpmbuild, and the build env is completely isolated from the
host.

> - use dynamic buildrequires to detect what plugins are needed

My problem is that the binary is linked to the libpython3.12.so shared
library… The detection part is easy, the hard part is how to have the
binary work when the shared lib is not installed.

Zbyszek