Re: Three steps we could take to make supply chain attacks a bit harder

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> So… this is what I'm talking about: there is no obvious way to
> figure out what to set. Looking at the logs and trying to figure out
> some variables from that is not very attractive.

The comments at the top of the relevant Find*.cmake module are the best
source for which variables you are supposed to set directly.

But there is also cmake-gui that can show you all the available options in a
pretty Qt GUI.

> Nevertheless, for me, CMake and autotools are outdated technologies
> that shouldn't be used in new projects.

And for me, Meson is just a poor Not Invented Here imitation of CMake, with
fewer features and in a slower programming language. :-)

And the kind of automagic you complain about is something all 3 major build
systems do (and plenty of obscure ones, too). Maybe not for the specific
case of the Python executable, but there are plenty of other cases where
autotools and Meson also do automagic, which is why building outside of a
chroot is such a bad idea.

        Kevin Kofler