Re: Three steps we could take to make supply chain attacks a bit harder

That's why you should never build packages outside of mock.

       Kevin Kofler

On Sun, Apr 7 2024 at 13:52:26 +00:00:00, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 10:15:47PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
 One particular issue I have with CMake as a downstream maintainer is
 it's often very hard to override linking or compilation options
 or when the project is using one of the cmake find scripts that gets
something wrong… It's possible that those projects are "doing cmake wrong",
 but it seems that CMake makes it easy to do things wrong.

I just had to interact with CMake, so let's use that as example:
I'm rebuilding rpm.rpm with some local patches using 'fedpkg local' in F40.
The build fails with:
Directory not found: /home/zbyszek/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/rpm-4.19.1.1-2.fc41.x86_64/usr/lib64/python3.12/site-packages/rpm

Hmm, why? Oh, rpm uses cmake, and cmake has it's own special detection of python, and it found /usr/bin/python3.13t that I have installed, and subsequently
it got all the paths wrong. How do I override this?
('cmake -LAH' doesn't yield anything useful.)

(When compiling a python module, any other alternative would be better.
The build uses %python3, i.e. /usr/bin/python3.12, so there's no need
to detect anything, the location of python is known and all this binary
can be called to print all paths. Otherwise, either call
'python3-config' or 'pkgconf python', don't do you own reimplementation.)

Zbyszek