Re: convert everything to rpmautospec?

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> I've noticed a trend in proposed changes in the way Fedora works.

I am fed up of this salami tactic as well. When we complain about the new
stuff, we invariably get told "don't worry, you don't have to use it, it's
all optional", but the plan is always to make it mandatory later. See also
2FA that they are now trying to force on us, taking as an excuse an incident
that was demonstrably NOT stopped by 2FA.

> They start off as as things packagers will not have to use if they do
> not want to and, over time, become default/forced (Matrix vs IRC,

To be fair, part of the blame there is to be put on Libera.Chat that
unilaterally turned off their Matrix bridge. (Yes, they did give Matrix some
time to address the demands they had, but when Matrix told them it was not
feasible in such a short time frame, they just first suspended, then
permanently blocked the Matrix bridge.) But, and here is where I blame
Fedora, instead of just letting the chans on Libera.Chat die and moving
everything to Matrix, they should have moved the IRC chans to a network with
a working Matrix bridge, such as OFTC (or pretty much anything other than
Libera.Chat – I guess even Freenode under its new owners might be an
option), then we could still be happily using both technologies
interoperably. Instead, we get told to just use Matrix and shut up, which I
do not consider acceptable.

> Discourse, ...).

There too, I do not see why some discussions are now being directed to
Discourse instead of the mailing list. And it is not even working. Most of
the pertinent feedback for new Changes still comes on this list, not on
Discourse. The developers use this list, Discourse is only for users who do
not know how to use a mailing list.

> Perhaps it's time to discuss imposing financial and/or legal penalties
> when the opt-in nature of the change goes away.

Who would impose those? And from whom to whom would the money flow? I do not
think this can work.

        Kevin Kofler