Re: F41 Change Proposal: Switch to DNF5 (system-wide)

Hi guys,

the dnf-automatic command will be obsoleted.

Oh, sorry about that. This portion of the text was inadvertently altered during the review process. I've already corrected the text on the wiki.

The dnf-automatic command will still be available, now provided as a plugin and functionally compatible with dnf4. Although the configuration files' location has changed, it will be documented in the dnf4 vs. dnf5 changes documentation.

Thanks,
Jan

On Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 12:06 AM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 11:57:48AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2024-04-03 at 14:27 -0400, Przemek Klosowski via devel wrote:
> > On 4/3/24 06:36, Aoife Moloney wrote:
> > > the dnf-automatic command will be obsoleted.
> >
> > https://dnf5.readthedocs.io/en/latest/changes.html does not say anything
> > about automatic updates, and
> >
> > https://packages.fedoraproject.org/pkgs/dnf5/dnf5-plugin-automatic/
> >
> > simply suggests that dns update be executed from systemd timers or cron
> > jobs.
> >

> > dns-automatic provided a simple interface to a setup-and-forget
> > automatic updates; will DNF5 leave it to be set up by hand?
> >
> > I am asking because systemd timers have surprising behavior for
> > suspendable systems, which leads to problems if updates are scheduled
> > for off-hours.
> >
> > My experience is that even |WakeSystem=true does not make them reliable,
> > but I am not sure how to debug this (because the system is suspended, heh).
> >

> We do use dnf-automatic quite extensively within infra, I think. Has
> this been discussed with infra?

Not that I know of. Yes, we do use dnf-automatic all over the place. ;(

kevin