Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2024 at 17:03, Kevin Kofler via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> to you? They are quite relevent to others...

I would really like to see what the proportion of users downloading the
Server, IoT, Cloud, and CoreOS Editions is compared to Workstation or the
Spins. I would not expect it to be very high. Most Fedora users are desktop

Downloads are very hard to measure because too many things are grabbing everything from mirrors for different reasons. [Plus various people seem to think manipulating the stats for their particular spin on the number of downloads will make it more popular (I am looking at the several dozen ips which were downloading  the same spin every ten minutes). The countme stats for 'running' systems https://data-analysis.fedoraproject.org/csv-reports/countme/ can probably give you the data on number of active systems.

users. And server or cloud users will mostly install Fedora by picking
"Fedora" in a combo box at their commercial cloud, VPS, and/or dedicated
server provider's web interface, not from fedoraproject.org. I would be
surprised if the percentage of users both running a home server or a private
cloud (as opposed to a hosted commercial offering in a remote datacenter)
AND picking Fedora as the OS to run on it (as opposed to a more conservative
OS such as Rocky/Alma or Debian stable) were significant. CoreOS is also
mostly a server thing, desktop users get pointed to Atomic Desktop variants
(Silverblue/Kinoite/"… Atomic") instead. And IoT is just completely niche.
So why do you expect those Editions to be more relevant to users downloading
Fedora from fedoraproject.org than the Spins?

        Kevin Kofler

Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. -- Ian MacClaren