Re: F41 Change Proposal: OpenSSL Deprecate Engine (system-wide)

Joe Orton wrote:
> Given that the ENGINE API is deprecated upstream since OpenSSL 3.0, the
> API is optional upstream, and its use has produced compiler warnings
> since it was introduced in Fedora 36, it seems perfectly reasonable to
> disable this API in Fedora 41.

I disagree. Disabling an API that is still widely used and for which there
is still no complete replacement (several replies have pointed out issues
still preventing "providers" from working in all use cases in which
"engines" work) is NOT reasonable.

> We have to deal with a very large numbers of FTBFS bugs from e.g. Python
> API breaks every other release cycle, or the latest compiler flag
> tuning. The fact that the transition creates work for other package
> maintainers is obviously not a reasonable blocker for a Fedora Change.

And that is exactly the kind of cultural issue we need to solve. The Python
3 transition is exactly an example of a transition that was handled
horribly, kicking out lots of useful packages from Fedora just because they
were not ported to Python 3. Python 2, or a fork like Tauthon (which has the
advantage that it supports some Python 3 features, so some Python-3-only
libraries / library versions can be backported to Tauthon more easily than
to stock Python 2), should have been retained as a compatibility platform in
Fedora. (There is technically still a "python27" package, but the modules
available for it are intentionally limited and there are strict rules on
what packages are allowed to depend on it.) It should NEVER be considered
reasonable to break other people's work.

        Kevin Kofler