Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

Steve Cossette wrote:
> Putting aside that i heard from Neal Gompa that anaconda cannot
> accommodate a « multi-flavor » media, can you imagine how big that iso
> would be? Forget 4gb, it’d probably be closer to 20gb!

We used to have multiboot live images that let you pick the live image
flavor to boot and then install. At one point (for one or two, maybe three,
releases only, then came "Fedora.next" and the Ambassadors were pressured to
hand out only "Workstation"), we even handed DVDs with those (yes, in those
good old days, a multiboot live image still fit on a DVD… then bloat
happened!) out at events. (I even did a custom one once for the Vienna event
in May 2015, which dual-booted the latest Fedora 21 KDE live-respin with
Plasma 4 and the Fedora 22 Beta KDE live with Plasma 5. I did not put
Workstation on those because we had tons of pressed Fedora 21 Workstation
DVDs anyway.) Unfortunately, the scripts that generated those were unable to
keep up with all the complications caused by UEFI and so-called "Secure
Boot". (They used to work back when everything still booted in legacy BIOS
mode.) So some engineering effort will probably be needed, and a lot of
testing on different hardware will definitely be needed, to make the
multiboot generator work (reliably) again.

        Kevin Kofler