Re: Three steps we could take to make supply chain attacks a bit harder

Eric Blake wrote:
> The upstream autoconf discussion says that 'autoreconf -fi' behavior
> on which 'serial NN' .m4 files to update is determined by automake,
> not autoconf, in part inspired by semantics desired in gnulib.  And
> the automake and gnulib developers have argued that the upstream
> behavior is intentional:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2024-04/msg00005.html

Don't you love intentional bugs? Yet another reason to avoid autotools at
all costs.

By the way, the documentation of the serials "feature" actually warns about
this (and seems to imply that even without serials, --force does not work as
advertised for those files):
https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Serials.html

| Finally, note that the --force option of aclocal has absolutely no effect
| on the files installed by --install. For instance, if you have modified
| your local macros, do not expect --install --force to replace the local
| macros by their system-wide versions. If you want to do so, simply erase
| the local macros you want to revert, and run ‘aclocal --install’.

But the documentation of "autoreconf --force" does not include that warning.
And this also makes "--force" pretty much useless as it stands.

We and Debian both need to patch aclocal downstream immediately to make
--force actually work. And then of course Fedora needs to actually always
run autoreconf -i -f as Debian already does, or the patch will not do much
good.

        Kevin Kofler