Re: Three steps we could take to make supply chain attacks a bit harder

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 12:47:39AM +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Yes, in this case the attacker had set the serial number to 30, but
> > the latest upstream serial number was 3.  autoreconf won't replace the
> > file in this case unless it is deleted.  There really should be an
> > "always replace if you can" option in autoreconf.
>
> Is that not what -f is supposed to do? At least, the documentation claims
> so, but the implementation does not actually do what is documented.

The upstream autoconf discussion says that 'autoreconf -fi' behavior
on which 'serial NN' .m4 files to update is determined by automake,
not autoconf, in part inspired by semantics desired in gnulib.  And
the automake and gnulib developers have argued that the upstream
behavior is intentional:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2024-04/msg00005.html

So the only sane way to work around the upstream behavior (if we
insist that working around it is essential, such as if we insist on
running autoreconf in order to pull in modernized config.guess that
will allow us to build on more platforms than were present at the time
the upstream package was cut), is to do something like removing all
.m4 files, then autoreconf -fi to reinstall all of them with known
versions of the same .m4 files that we somehow curate as being more
reliable than the ones that upstream tested their release tarball
with.  Lots of busy work, but if we think it will help as another
layer of reassurance to keep our customers happy, then we can sign up
for it.

However, although it is unlikely that upstream automake will accept a
patch to change the existing 'autoreconf -fi' behavior of not
overriding an already-present .m4 with a higher serial, getting some
other patch in that adds a new option such as 'autoreconf
--ignore-serial -fi' might be possible.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.