Re: F41 Change Proposal: OpenSSL Deprecate Engine (system-wide)

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 09:50:27AM +0200, Clemens Lang wrote:
> There will always be some effort related to such a transition, but
> that effort will have to happen one way or the other eventually. I
> suspect if Fedora decides to keep ENGINE support, we’ll have the exact
> same discussion in a few years when OpenSSL 4.0 is released, and
> people will demand that the rebase to 4.0 that removes engine support
> should be a system-wide change proposal because it breaks engines.

Given that the ENGINE API is deprecated upstream since OpenSSL 3.0, the
API is optional upstream, and its use has produced compiler warnings
since it was introduced in Fedora 36, it seems perfectly reasonable to
disable this API in Fedora 41.

We have to deal with a very large numbers of FTBFS bugs from e.g. Python
API breaks every other release cycle, or the latest compiler flag
tuning. The fact that the transition creates work for other package
maintainers is obviously not a reasonable blocker for a Fedora Change.

Regards, Joe