Re: Obsoleted packages in F40

Otto Liljalaakso kirjoitti 30.3.2024 klo 13.41:
Kevin Kofler via devel kirjoitti 25.3.2024 klo 20.34:
Miroslav Suchý wrote:
I want to highlight that we have policy for removing policy
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Package_Retirement_Process/#complete_removal
which at the end mention adding the package to
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/fedora-obsolete-packages

I do not think the "Completely Removing a Package" section is meant for the cases you mention. The only example given in that section is licensing issues, i.e. a situation where Fedora was actually not even allowed to distribute the package, either because of the license conditions, or because of Fedora's own bylaws.

On the other hand, you do not have to refer to that section if you want to remind packages about fedora-obsolete-packages. Right before there is "Obsoleting Packages", which asks to consider obsoleting for every retirement.

In attempt to make it more clear that obsoleting should be considered every time a package is retired, I submitted a pull request for Package Maintainer Docs [1].

[1]: https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/package-maintainer-docs/pull-request/152