Re: Obsoleted packages in F40

Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> I just upgraded my workstation to F40 and it surprised how many packages
> were reported by `remove-retired-packages`. There was lots of orphaned
> packages - there is nothing to do about them. But there was lot of
> packages that were removed intentionally. See the list at the end of my
> email.
>
> I want to highlight that we have policy for removing policy
>     https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Package_Retirement_Process/#complete_removal
> which at the end mention adding the package to
>     https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/fedora-obsolete-packages

The point of fedora-obsolete-packages is to remove packages that actually
BREAK things when they remain installed. Otherwise, the best thing to do is
to NOT obsolete those packages. Users might still rely on them. E.g., they
might have locally built software that depends on the dropped compatibility
libraries. Forcefully obsoleting those will break the locally installed
software.

        Kevin Kofler