Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

Am 10.02.24 um 09:47 schrieb Neal Gompa:
Technically, turning off display sync completely is quite difficult
right now since the actual driver stack in Linux underneath everything
(both Wayland and X11) uses implicit sync right now (Linux kernel
drivers, Mesa drivers, etc.).

Interesting considering that I once read (but haven't fact check) that
the Vulkan spec explicitly requires explicit sync instead of implicit,
even if you for parts of it.

That said, there's a move to support explicit sync in Wayland[1], and
the first steps of that for KWin have been written up as a merge
request[2]. Once there's an agreed upon mechanism for explicit sync,
it would be possible to support something like that.

[1]:https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/90
[2]:https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/4800

Interesting read. I will just hope that this won't be something which
ends up in "noone actually still looks at it"-land as some things
sometimes end up in because people focused on different things and then
forgot about it (well, kind natural for volunteer projects I guess).

Kilian Hanich