Re: cloud-init switching to udhcpc

On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 at 09:25, Major Hayden <major@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/7/24 07:36, Petr Menšík wrote:
> I am interested why two DHCP clients are required inside a single tool.
> Why it could not use NetworkManager in both times, but with some
> different settings? Maybe alternative service? If there is missing
> ability to change behaviour, it may make sense to fix just that. Instead
> of keeping another client maintained. Do we support any kind of images,
> which would not have Network Manager present?

One of the design goals of cloud-init is to use the dhcp client to get
just enough networking done so the cloud instance can get to the cloud's
metadata service. That metadata service provides information about
network configuration, users, ssh keys, initial scripts, and more.

cloud-init isn't used just for cloud systems. I have seen it used for similar reasons in enterprise locations where the configs are centrally located and Network-Manager's late start either sets up things which need to be replaced again post-install or might be 'blocked' without the info.

If NetworkManager is used for this step, then the network would need to
be fully reconfigured when cloud-init finishes. It's my understanding
that they block the boot until the network configuration is fully
completed (using data from the metadata service) and then NetworkManager
is allowed to continue.
--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. -- Ian MacClaren