Re: cloud-init switching to udhcpc

I am dhcpcd maintainer and okay, dhcpcd is not bad choice. But its maintenance might fall into our team in RHEL.

I am interested why two DHCP clients are required inside a single tool. Why it could not use NetworkManager in both times, but with some different settings? Maybe alternative service? If there is missing ability to change behaviour, it may make sense to fix just that. Instead of keeping another client maintained. Do we support any kind of images, which would not have Network Manager present?

Was it already evaluated by someone from Network Manager maintainers, whether it would be possible reuse NM both times? If changes would be required, how significant? Maybe it were already ruled out for a good reason. I haven't found any discussion about that topic on cloud-init upstream.