Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

Jonathan Bennett via devel wrote:
> the KDE SIG doesn't have a track record of handing those kind of bans out
> flippantly.

That is what they want you to believe. Sure, this used to be the case, a few
years ago.

The atmosphere on #fedora-kde IRC radically changed on 2020-07-13. Until
then, it was possible on that chan(nel) to discuss things only partially on
topic, such as packaging issues with packages in Fedora that may affect KDE
Plasma users but are not part of the KDE SIG's offering, hardware makers'
support or non-support of GNU/Linux, etc. On that day (at least in the few
hours before I was kicked out of the chan), suddenly, everyone (not just
me!) attempting to discuss something like this was immediately greeted with
an "off-topic warning".

But what the KDE SIG resents the most is criticism. You can see that in this
thread, too. So what happened is that they took offense at the *tone* of the
criticism (something they are attempting here too:
Neal Gompa wrote:
> Frankly, I'm disappointed in your response as well as the tone of you
> [= Sérgio] and Kevin.
) because that is a much more socially acceptable way to silence criticism
than to do it based on its content. What they ended up holding against me
was my puns that "name-called" companies and software projects, such as
"NoVideo" instead of "NVidia" and some admittedly more vulgar ones. It shall
be noted that I tried really hard to not "name-call" people that way, only
companies or projects like Firefox. This was claimed to be a violation of
the Fedora Code of Conduct even though that was at that time not stated
anywhere in the letter of the CoC:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200803212051/https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
(The current Fedora CoC is much longer:
and now also bans, among many other things, "personal campaigns against
other organizations or individuals", explicitly covering "organizations".
That wording did not exist in 2020.)

So what happened on that day is that the KDE SIG instantly decided to ban me
along with the general moderation crackdown, without even giving me a chance
to adapt to the new strict moderation. (They only gave me the "choice" to
leave "voluntarily", which I obviously refused.) They claimed that those had
always been the rules (which was clearly not the case, the moderation before
and on/after 2020-07-13 was completely different) and that I had been warned
often enough (but those "warnings" never drew any sanctions with them before
2020-07-13, neither for me nor for anybody else who was "warned").

And when I tried to appeal the unfair ban to the Fedora Council, the KDE SIG
demanded "Acknowledgement that your past behaviour was unacceptable" as a
precondition to be unbanned, which I consider particularly unfair and
unacceptable because it demands that I plead guilty to a wrongdoing that I
do not agree having ever committed. The Council also marked the ticket
private against my wishes in an effort to prevent the public from reading
about the unfair banning practices in parts of Fedora.

So now, 3½ years later, I am still banned, because the KDE SIG is unwilling
to give its old grudges of the distant past an expiry date.

        Kevin Kofler