Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

On Fri, Feb 2, 2024 at 1:05 PM Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2024-02-02 at 01:34 -0600, Jonathan Bennett via devel wrote:
> > Hey folks, outside observer, and long-time Fedora user weighing in
> > with
> > some thoughts. First off, I've been hyped to see Fedora lead the way
> > with finally making a real move to Wayland, and retire X11. And now
> > I'm
> > fairly disappointed to hear that there's a real chance that move will
> > get killed. And especially that it's not because of a technical
> > problem
> > or blocker bug.
>
> I don't understand , why you want the others use a crap of software,
> fully buggy, without many features , which is not supported by many
> (like nvidia) , because is new ?
>
> Who wants use Wayland and test it, may use wayland and test it, it is
> even the default .
>
> It is really difficult to me understand your point of view , users
> should be free to use what they want and have choices, It is really
> weird (for me) that you want that I use wayland and test wayland .

All of us in the KDE SIG daily drive Plasma Wayland, and have done so
for quite a while. I (as well as most of the members) have since 2020,
with the two members using NVIDIA beginning daily driving it in 2022
with the 515 driver release. I would not be pushing "crap" or "fully
buggy" software "without many features" that is "not supported by many
(like nvidia)". We literally waited until NVIDIA started properly
supporting it, and spent a lot of time with upstream to improve the
experience. With regards to NVIDIA, this cycle provides a lot of light
at the end of the tunnel because the proprietary driver is optional
for the newest generation of GPUs and eventually will be optional for
the last six years of NVIDIA GPUs. Yes, it's not everything, but it's
a lot and that's a big deal. The SIG has worked methodically and
patiently toward this, in conjunction with upstream (the Fedora way),
for three years.

We're also gathering empirical data through our test week, and the
results have been largely positive:
https://testdays.fedoraproject.org/events/174

It's extremely obvious that people want to use it. You replied to
someone who did and denigrated their opinion. Frankly, I'm
disappointed in your response as well as the tone of you and Kevin.
Neither of you are aligning with the Fedora Foundation of Friends, and
the personal attacks were unwarranted and unwanted. What we're doing
is bold for sure, but aligns with two more of the Fedora Foundations,
First and Features. And for the first time in a long time, Fedora KDE
has generated significant buzz in the community and media.

I'm excited for the future of Fedora KDE with Plasma Wayland, as well
as what we're doing with the upstream KDE community. :)