Re: Proposal: Eliminate buildroot overrides

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 07:39:52PM +0100, blinxen wrote:
> > I am unaware of any remaining use cases for buildroot overrides that are
> not covered by side tags
>
> One use case that I sometimes encounter is requiring a newer version for a
> dependency,
> that is submitted to Bodhi with a side-tag. Since the build is in a
> side-tag, I can't access it
> without building into that specific side-tag. Also I can't stop the Bodhi
> Update just to add my own
> build. In this case, I need to create a buildroot override to be able to
> build my package in my own side-tag.

Actually, I think you *can* tag the build into your own side-tag.
I.e. the procedure would be:
1. create own side-tag <tag>
2. run 'koji tag-build <tag> <build>'
3. do your own build with 'fedpkg build --target=<tag>'

IIUC, you wouldn't be able to create an update with <build>,
since it's already in another update. But this is already true
today, i.e. you actually want to wait until that other update
goes stable before creating you own update, in order to not
break things.

Zbyszek