Re: Proven to be sickened

* Kevin Kofler via devel:

> Michael J Gruber wrote:
>> I am sick of this. Really. I am so sick of this way of stomping on each
>> others' feet.
>
> My pet peeve is provenpackagers or comaintainers who add unwanted
> automagic (autorelease, autosetup, autochangelog) to my packages. I do
> not want any of that in my packages, it just makes my work harder (or
> in practice, just wastes my time for the revert that I am inevitably
> going to do).

If the package does not contain any patches yet, it's not really
possible to infer the maintainer intentions.  %setup vs %autosetup
doesn't matter much in that case, so it doesn't really tell us anything.
Likewise if the package uses %autosetup, but without -p1, and there are
no patches.  Does the maintainer really prefer those awkarward -p-less
patches?  We don't know.

Asking individual maintainers for trivial changes does not scale.  The
alternative would be not to address FTBFS and other build issues, maybe
file bugs, and rely on active maintainers instead.  But I don't think
that can work for Fedora, practically speaking.  Fedora lacks Debian's
ban on forcing packagers to do certain work.  In the past, FESCo has
used that to order that certain packagers must keep carrying out certain
work they do not want to do, but I think that only means anything if the
victim packager is a Red Hatter on certain teams, I think.  Others will
just quit if they disagree.

Thanks,
Florian