Re: Proven to be sickened

So I've been in this situation, both on the receiving end of nasty flames
because I dared touch someone else's package and having duplicated work
because I didn't check before trying to update something.

> So, due to me following my package (notmuch)

The idea is that it's really the community's package, but you have
indicated that you will take a primary role.  That doesn't mean that
nobody else will ever touch the package.  Communication is encouraged,
of course.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_spec_maintenance_and_canonicity

> ... and get a reject because someone thought that pushing directly
> without asking or at least notifying the maintainer would be in order:

This is collaborative maintenance.  Occasionally you get ninja'd.  It
happens.  Certainly it's annoying when it happens but it's not evidence
that anyone did anything wrong.

If there is something wrong with the work of the maintainer who got
there before you did, then you can always push a revert, bump and build
your own copy.  And of course have a discussion with them.

If there isn't anything wrong with the work of the other maintainer,
then I guess I don't understand.  They did something in an honest
attempt to save you the trouble and because of unfortunate timing they
didn't actually save you any trouble.  But you aren't in a different
position than if they hadn't tried to help.  (Excluding the time it took
to start this discussion, of course.)

> I am sick of this. Really. I am so sick of this way of stomping on
> each others' feet.

I can only say that the best thing to do in this situation is to say
"thanks; would you mind sending me a note on [IRC|Matrix|email] in the
future so we don't duplicate effort?" and move on.  Surely it's not
worth strong emotions.

> It's made worse by failing automated notifications, of course. Not
> from pagure about the push nor from koji about the build nor from
> bodhi about the update.

Now that is a true issue, and perhaps the real underlying issue here.
If you invested time that you didn't need to invest because you didn't
receive a notification that the work had already been done, then that is
problematic.  And yes, it would be incredibly beneficial to
collaboration if that were fixed, if only because it would help to
prevent situations such as the one under discussion.  But please don't
take that out on the person who had no motivation other than to help you
out.

 - J<