Re: Orphaning all my packages

On 10/16/23 00:20, Peter Boy wrote:
Sorry for top posting. But my question doesn’t fit to a specific post. And I don’t like to contribute to getting off-topic. But ...

I followed the thread and various similar discussions closely. My question is: Who is really suffering from the famous „June decision“ of Red Hat? I don’t get it.

No one has denied that every fix or improvement of a software or a configuration finds its way into CentOS (stream) and its source repository (and hopefully into Fedora, too - much more important here). So as a member of the OSS community, I can take full advantage of any enhancement to OSS software developed by Red Hat and have access to the source code.

As a Red Hat customer, I obviously have access to the source code for the specific RHEL x.y.z version I am using, either - just in case I’m interested instead of the phone number in my support contract.

And as a student, programmer or even curious citizen who would like to know and learn how everything works, with a developer license I can look at everything and study and learn.

So, who _exactly_ is suffering?

I don’t get it and would really like to know. I put a considerable amount of time into Fedora. Maybe, I’m suffering without knowing?  :-)

Previously it was possible to get the exact source code for the latest version of any package of any major release of RHEL very easily. These source RPMs could then be rebuilt into binary-compatible RPMs that worked just like the ones in RHEL. And this was the case for nearly every single SRPM in RHEL (maybe every single one? Not sure, there might have been like 10 or so SRPMs that weren't public and contained Red Hat-built binaries, but even those may have been publicly available without a subscription and just also contained pre-built binaries).

As a result, there were (and still are) at least three projects that simply took virtually every single SRPM in RHEL and rebuilt it, then redistributed the binaries as a distro. These "RHEL rebuilds" are essentially RHEL without the cost and without the support (or that are supported by an entity other than Red Hat). Obviously these compete directly with RHEL since they serve exactly the same purpose and are cheaper.

These rebuilds were considered by RHEL to not be adding value to the RHEL ecosystem (as I understand it). They weren't contributing anything back into RHEL, they were just taking RHEL and making it free. Red Hat finally decided that they didn't want to continue providing everything their competitors needed to compete effectively with them, and now the SRPMs for RHEL are "locked" behind an RHEL subscription. Additionally, the ToS for an RHEL subscription no longer allows you to *download* the SRPMs from Red Hat for the purposes of making an RHEL rebuild.

Note that the use of the SRPMs themselves is in no way restricted. You are free to take the code in them, modify it however you want, distribute it to whomever you want verbatim or in modified form, etc. The code hasn't been encumbered, your use of Red Hat's server resources is what now had limits on it. You can't use up Red Hat's bandwidth and server power to download all their source code so you can rebuild the whole entire repository yourself. This is similar to the Anaconda Repository, where you can do whatever you want with the code in the repo, but cloning the repo isn't allowed because of the ToS for the *repo* (not the code).

I obviously have my own personal opinions on the situation, but I won't be sharing much more of them here since I think that could re-spark an argument. Suffice to say, I contribute to Fedora and intend on continuing to do so.

I apologize in advance if anything I've said here isn't entirely accurate - I don't have the time to double-check myself on everything here. If I have something wrong, I'd appreciate being corrected.