Re: Orphaning all my packages

Because when they ask “where is the code?”, they are asking a different question than yours :)

Regards,
Carlos

On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 2:30 PM Simo Sorce <simo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2023-10-03 at 23:13 +0200, Leon Fauster via devel wrote:
> Am 03.10.23 um 21:29 schrieb Simo Sorce:

> > > Since June 21 the strategy changed. Such commits do not get pushed
> > > anymore. But you are right, to prove it a different example is necessary ...
> >
> > You are wrong and have been mislead.
> > Nothing has changed in how we develop and publish code in gitlab.
>

> Nope, I do not argue about processes at all. Its about resulting code
> fragments. Speak, having in gitlab version 8 of a package and in the
> current/latest RHEL release (9.2) version 7 with backports of 8 doesn't
> mean that the code is in gitlab. The code differs and its not
> accessible. Thats all about.

The code is still in gitlab, in most cases in directly accessible in
individual commits. In some cases, like the one Michael mentioned,
where a rebase landed early in the CentOS branch the code may land
together with other changes, but it is not like it is not there.
There are is a no regression policy in RHEL, so if CentOS is ahead it
means it already has all of the code in question.

And if there is an actual reason to need to know what exact change
landed in RHEL there are several avenues to find out (just grab a
developer subscription for example).

I just find that this is generally just a mental exercise, but not
something people do or need to do on a regular basis, and does not
prevent any use, study, sharing or enjoyment of the code.

Claiming the code is inaccessible sounds odd to me.
But perhaps I am just old and remember when all you got from upstream
was a tarball and you had to figure out what actual changes went in
manually with diff ... no commits or commit messages and often not even
a reasonable changelog ...

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce,