Re: Packaging guidelines - validation of AppStream metadata files

On Thu, 28 Sept 2023 at 08:03, Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 27 Sept 2023 at 22:41, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure at all that it would be possible to do at compose-time...
> composes are taking around 3.5-4hours and thats after I have done
> a lot to speed them up, but might be worth some benchmarking
> to see how much slower it would be. If we are going to go that route, we
> should see if support could be added to pungi.

On server class hardware with fast disk access it's an additional 10
minutes or so.

Assume a virtual machine on a possibly busy server, with limited IO to a shared netapp server. I don't expect it will do more than double that estimate but the bigger question will be how often will it 'fail' on the Fedora repositories and what kind of failure. Most failures I remember on any architecture will kill the entire compose which then requires Kevin to mangle whatever broke, and relaunch a compose (which again will take 4 hours)

> Moving this from a package to in repodata would grow the repodata quite
> a lot right?

6.9M    fedora-39-icons.tar.gz
6.3M    fedora-39.xml.gz

So not small, but cough, passim, cough :)

Richard.