Re: Automate your Fedora package maintenance using Packit

Agree it should be in Fedora CI. Maybe it can be added to the Zuul CI, or the default scratch build.

But to run Fedora CI, the source would need to be in the look-aside cache. I think it would be ok that if the packit run is pull_from_upstream that a licensecheck is run (after the spectool -g and before running the fedpkg new-sources) and report upstream if it fails. Then the packager can check it and re-run via the cli command to "sign" that they have verified it.

I don't think it is very necessary in the propose_downstream since the project hosting it and the packager maintaining it there should be responsible there. But if the check is not hard, might as well add it for sanity.

I have tried to run locally licensecheck -r, but I think the output is a bit too noisy for processing with so many "UNKNOWN". The --merge-licenses doesn't seem to help either. But it should still be doable to accumulate all detected licenses and continue if that is not different. An edge-case issue would be if upstream changes a specific section of the code to a specific license unknown to licensecheck, but I don't think the regular maintainer is diligent enough to do that rigorous check either.