Re: Why does mingw-filesystem depend on mingw-binutils-generic?

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 10:39:44AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 10:36:26AM +0200, Sandro Mani wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'd say, as least as it stands now, this is because the dependency
> > generators require mingw-objdump, see mingw.req [1].
> >
> > Sandro
> >
> > [1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mingw-filesystem/blob/rawhide/f/mingw.req
>
> I see, good point.
>
> There's a concern in this bug:
>
> > >https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/virt-v2v/pull-request/2
>
> that pulling in mingw-srvany pulls in too many dependencies.  We only
> need this binary because it gets copied into Windows virtual machines
> during various virt-v2v and virt-customize operations (it is used to
> run some "firstboot"-type services in Windows).
>
> The dependency chain is:
>
> virt-v2v -> mingw32-srvany -> mingw32-crt
>                           \        v
>                            -> mingw32-filesystem -> mingw-binutils-generic
>
> Both dependencies of mingw32-srvany are justified -- the program is a
> Windows binary that gets installed in the mingw "filesystem", and it
> needs various C runtime dependencies if you want to run it under Wine.
> But indirectly pulling in programs like mingw-objdump and mingw-strip
> seems less justified.

Thinking about the intended usage of mingw ecosystem in Fedora context,
the mingw RPMs are really considered to be devel input to enable end
user applications to be built. Such applications would typically be
bundled up into a NSIS/WXI installer binary, which end users will then
run in order to install the app on their Windows host/VM.

IOW, the mingw RPMs aren't particularly targetted at end users, more
developers.

When creating the application installer, the fact that mingw-filesystme
contains a dep on objdump/etc is essentially harmless. Your NSIS/WXI
recipe specifies exactly what files are to be included into the installer
binary, and ought to omit objdump/etc

> What do you think about adding {ucrt64,mingw32,mingw64}-srpm-macros to
> contain the rpmbuild macros and the dependency on mingw-binutils-generic?

That would be in keeping with the general Fedora approach for SRPM macros
these days, so despite what I said above, it might none the less be a
good idea. Still it will require updating every single mingw package to
add the new dep :-(

With regards,
Daniel