Re: zlib-ng as a compat replacement for zlib

Hi,

I'm currently maintaining the zlib package across Fedora and Red Hat products.

I like the proposal for the zlib-ng package, there are just a few questions for @Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho :
1) Just to clarify, do you want to have two separate packages (zlib-ng and e.g. zlib-ng-compat) in Fedora? One with the `-DZLIB_COMPAT=ON` option enabled and one without it?
2) What is your point of view on maintaining these packages? You will be the main contact and I could be the secondary one? Or do you have someone else in your team who could take the responsibility and our team could leave those packages to you?
3) Same as 2) but for CentOS Stream and RHEL products?

Next, I have a few scary scenarios in my head, which I'm not sure how would be handled:
1) When we decide to migrate from zlib to zlib-ng and zlib-ng-compat, the packages would still need to rewrite their code so they can use the pure (no compat) zlib-ng functions and libraries. How many of the packages will be able (and most importantly willing) to do that?
2) There are 271 RPMs dependent on zlib in ELN repo (there will be more in the Fedora repo). It would mean that we would have to side-tag rebuild all of them when switching to the zlib-ng-compat package. It may be challenging.

If I understood something incorrectly please let me know, I'm trying to understand it completely, what is the plan here. It will be needed to be thoroughly documented in the Fedora Change.

Overall, I think performance-wise this is a great idea. We just need to be cautious about the compatibility.