Re: F39 Change Proposal: Enable fwupd-refresh.timer by default on IoT, CoreOS & Server Editions (Self-Contained)

On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 3:37 PM Ralf Corsépius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 26.07.23 um 15:55 schrieb Solomon Peachy via devel:
> > On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 09:45:13AM +0200, Ralf Corsépius wrote:
> >> It could be "my bubble", but for me, in all these fwupd is around, it has
> >> never, ever worked on any piece of HW for me.
> >
> > Most of the stuff I have that is updated through fwupd are peripherals
> > [1] that are independent of the system vendor.
> >
> > That said, my two primary systems are a Lenovo laptop and an HP
> > workstation that are fully supported by fwupd/lvfs,
>
> My (older) lenovo laptop and my HPE Micro-Server are obviously not.
>
> > and the UEFI dbx
> > stuff works on all of the remaining physical systems (including servers)
> To my big surprise, for the first time ever, today fwupd installed a dbx
> update on one of my machine - Now, I am still wondering why it didn't do
> so on another, similar machine ;)
>
> > [1] Off the top of my head: Logitech wireless stuff, Jabra conference
> >      speaker, synaptics fingerprint sensor, (Samsung?) NVME storage, and
> This is the second time, somebody mentions Samsung NVMEs were supported.
> Well, what shall I say.
>
> I have several of them (and Samsung SATA SSDs), but so far, I always had
> to resort to other means of updating their firmware (Windows+Magician or
> iso-images), because fwupd would not want to update.

Ultimately being supported and the vendor actually bothering to
publish the firmware updates is two different things, I see this in
linux-firmware too WRT to in particular the various wireless driver
firmware.

>From the NVME PoV the firmware update process is standardised as part
of the NVME spec, in most cases I have found, and I've tried a few
different vendors, you can use fwupdmgr to apply the updates from the
vendor's update zip file.

I blogged about it here:
https://nullr0ute.com/2022/06/using-fwupdmgr-to-update-nvme-firmware/