Re: F40 Change: Privacy-preserving Telemetry for Fedora Workstation (System-Wide)

On Sat, Jul 22 2023 at 02:44:30 AM +0000, "Smith, Stewart via devel" <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I’d almost prefer we work out a policy where anything of the sort is disabled by default, and with a distro-wide standard bcond to not even compile it in as an option. (No, I don’t quite know how that could be worded sensibly as a policy…. but it’s where I think I’d prefer to start from).

You can just not package the eos- packages (eos-metrics, eos-event-recorder-daemon, eos-metrics-instrumentation). eos-event-recorder-daemon is the package that actually sends metrics. Without that, no metrics. And nothing should have a hard dependency on it, so no bconds should be needed. If you have some denylist somewhere that throws an error if an unwanted package exists, that should robustly ensure it's never enabled.

For everything else, the test for whether to send metrics is "is the event recorder bus name owned?" so no conditional compilation or bconds is needed.