Re: [HEADS UP] Python 3.12 side tag merging today (and what to do)

> On Tue, 2023-07-04 at 18:29 +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:

> > > Also, it may be too late for this cycle now, but at least for the
> > > future, I would prefer if we could work in a step in the process where
> > > we ensure the openQA update tests pass against the tag before it is
> > > merged, especially now Rawhide gating is enabled.
> > >
> > > If the tag is merged and it turns out to cause failures in the openQA
> > > tests, all other Rawhide updates will fail gating until the failures
> > > are resolved.
> > >
> > > I would have to do some degree of work on the scheduler to let it test
> > > an arbitrary tag - right now it can only test by update ID or Koji task
> > > ID - but I could probably do that in a few hours.
> >
> > The side tag is not yet merged, so feel free to do that.
>
> I will do this after I'm done with something else (lorax builds for the
> linux-firmware rename issue), but it's a bit of a "race against time" -
> I have to implement testing of a tag in the openQA scheduler and tests,
> which I haven't done before, and if the merge gets done while I'm
> working on it, it'll be wasted work to a degree. :D
> >
> > I agree running tests (and runnign the compose) against this would be good.
>
> The openQA tests include building a network install image, two live
> images and a Silverblue installer image, so they do catch *most* things
> that can go wrong with a compose (though not everything). Running a
> test compose would be great if releng can do that.

For the record, I won the race to get the tests running before the
merge happened, and so far we've found:

* mock was broken because it uses imp (removed in 3.12)
* installer image build failed because system-storage-manager rebuild
for 3.12 failed
* FreeIPA server deployment fails (I'll investigate this one next)

So, testing the side tag before merging it definitely seems like it was
a good idea. :D Let's write it into the SOP for the future. Now I've
written the support into the tests and scheduler it is trivial to run
the tests whenever desired (someone with the necessary powers just has
to run `fedora-openqa tag f39-python 39`, modify as appropriate for the
future (the first arg is the tag name, the second is the release
number).
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA