Re: [HEADS UP] Python 3.12 side tag merging today (and what to do)

On Tue, 2023-07-04 at 18:29 +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 04. 07. 23 18:11, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2023-07-04 at 16:51 +0200, Tomáš Hrnčiar wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > As you might already know, we have recently conducted a Python 3.12mass
> > > rebuild in aside tag. We plan to ask releng to merge it today, despite
> > > several builds not succeeding.
> >
> > Also, it may be too late for this cycle now, but at least for the
> > future, I would prefer if we could work in a step in the process where
> > we ensure the openQA update tests pass against the tag before it is
> > merged, especially now Rawhide gating is enabled.
> >
> > If the tag is merged and it turns out to cause failures in the openQA
> > tests, all other Rawhide updates will fail gating until the failures
> > are resolved.
> >
> > I would have to do some degree of work on the scheduler to let it test
> > an arbitrary tag - right now it can only test by update ID or Koji task
> > ID - but I could probably do that in a few hours.
>
> The side tag is not yet merged, so feel free to do that.

I will do this after I'm done with something else (lorax builds for the
linux-firmware rename issue), but it's a bit of a "race against time" -
I have to implement testing of a tag in the openQA scheduler and tests,
which I haven't done before, and if the merge gets done while I'm
working on it, it'll be wasted work to a degree. :D

> I agree running tests (and runnign the compose) against this would be good.

The openQA tests include building a network install image, two live
images and a Silverblue installer image, so they do catch *most* things
that can go wrong with a compose (though not everything). Running a
test compose would be great if releng can do that.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA