Re: F39 Change Proposal: Anaconda WebUI for Fedora Workstation by default (System-Wide)

On 7/3/23 03:18, Simon de Vlieger wrote:
> On 7/2/23 23:56, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
>
>> Remote installation is not a solution to the memory bloat.  It only
>> pushes the problem to whatever machine the browser runs on, and it
>> has significant and negative security implications.  A solution
>> here would be ensuring that the web UI uses no more RAM than the
>> GTK UI that preceded it.
>
> Hi Demi Marie,
>
>  From what I can see by using `smem` the RSS/PSS for the Anaconda GTK
> installer in Fedora 38 is 62 MiB RSS and 22 MiB PSS. The Anaconda WebUI
> installer (Firefox) in Fedora 39 is 170 MiB RSS and 115 MiB PSS.
>
> Note that Hans mentioned removing/disabling sssd_kcm and gnome-calendar
> in his thread about minimizing memory usage which is a much larger dent
> in total memory usage in the scheme of things.
>
> Personally I'd also like to point out that I an using a 2 GiB memory
> single core VM to test these images to see if the live installer
> performs on the lower memory devices (yes, I think we can call 2 GiB low
> memory nowadays...).
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

Fair.  I wonder how much of that memory use would go away if instead of
using Firefox, the web content ran in an embedded WebKitGTK+ webview.
Browser security is not a concern here because in this case the web
content is trusted, and this would also allow using WebKitGTK+’s URL
redirection features instead of HTTP over localhost.

That said, I do want to check that the new Anaconda installer and all
of its transitive dependencies will be built from source on Fedora
infrastructure.  That means _actual_ sources as found in the SCM
repository, not the minified blobs one finds on NPM.  Web stuff has
historically been extremely packaging-unfriendly for this reason, and
the Node ecosystem has a long history of supply-chain attacks.  Using
a React-based UI should mean finding the original source code to all
of the transitive NPM dependencies, then rebuilding all of them on
Fedora infrastructure.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)