Re: F39 Change Proposal: Anaconda WebUI for Fedora Workstation by default (System-Wide)

On 7/2/23 23:56, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:

Remote installation is not a solution to the memory bloat.  It only
pushes the problem to whatever machine the browser runs on, and it
has significant and negative security implications.  A solution
here would be ensuring that the web UI uses no more RAM than the
GTK UI that preceded it.

Hi Demi Marie,

From what I can see by using `smem` the RSS/PSS for the Anaconda GTK installer in Fedora 38 is 62 MiB RSS and 22 MiB PSS. The Anaconda WebUI installer (Firefox) in Fedora 39 is 170 MiB RSS and 115 MiB PSS.

Note that Hans mentioned removing/disabling sssd_kcm and gnome-calendar in his thread about minimizing memory usage which is a much larger dent in total memory usage in the scheme of things.

Personally I'd also like to point out that I an using a 2 GiB memory single core VM to test these images to see if the live installer performs on the lower memory devices (yes, I think we can call 2 GiB low memory nowadays...).

Regards,

Simon