Re: F39 Change Proposal: Allow Removal of tzdata (System-Wide)

On 6/28/23 19:54, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Because Recommends and Supplements are installed by default, we need
> to be careful and use them sparingly, only when it really makes sense
> for some package to be pulled in for almost all users of another
> package. Thus far, Fedora and RHEL have done a good job of this,
> primarily because we were very late to the weak dep party and have
> had much more time to learn best practices and much less time to
> screw up. This is in contrast to some other distros where it's common
> for users to disable weak deps to avoid "bloat." We don't ever want
> our Recommends/Supplements to be considered bloat. (That's what
> Suggests/Enhances is for. :) And since they're not bloat, they should
> be respected when building most non-minimal images.

I agree.

Do you consider the removal of tzdata to be a valuable use of Recommends?

It is my opinion that glibc should Recommends: tzdata because it frees up an optional
~8MiB of zoneinfo that will never be used by UTC-only microservice workloads. It is
a further refinement of having really small containers with LANG=C.UTF-8/C and TZ=UTC.

Some spec files will need BuildRequires: tzdata, because their %check and testsuite
run needs it. In addition to this we should continue to adopt Fedora CI and test the
results as required in an installed scenario (with or without tzdata as your package
might need to test).

--
Cheers,
Carlos.