Re: CentOS Stream, RHEL, and Fedora [was Re: What is Fedora?]

Neal Gompa wrote:
> I will also point out that CentOS Stream is perfectly suitable for
> production use, and I would argue it provides a differentiated
> experience in its own right: because CentOS Stream does not go through
> certification work that locks on specific package versions, any and
> all fixes done by Red Hat or community members are released
> immediately after running through the gates and passing the tests at
> the gates. That shortens the average TTL for non-critical/non-security
> improvements from 6 months to a couple of weeks.

Well, another aspect that I think was not mentioned so far in this
discussion is that CentOS Stream has only half the support time of RHEL,
which makes it much less useful for production servers (and less
advantageous over competitors' offerings such as Ubuntu LTS, which offer a
similar support period as CentOS Stream).

This also means that if RH is telling rebuilds to do their own backports
from CentOS Stream, that is only going to help them in the first half of the
lifecycle. In the second half, there are no point releases, hence also no
CentOS Stream that would prepare those. So, as I understand it, the security
fixes are then only going to be published through the subscription channels.

> Offhand, I know CentOS Stream 9 is available as an option in the
> following VPS providers:
>
> * DigitalOcean
> * Linode
> * Vultr
> * Hetzner
> * Afterburst

At least Hetzner also offers Rocky Linux and (recently added due to customer
demand) AlmaLinux. If their customers were happy with CentOS Stream, they
would not do that. (For the record, I happen to be one of those customers,
for a small VPS (currently still running CentOS 7) and 2 domain names. That
is the only involvement I have with Hetzner.)

        Kevin Kofler