Re: Modules without modularity

Hi Petře,

Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> as it seems that module build infrastructure isn't getting any better, as
> modular YUM repositories are going to be deconfigured
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/No_default_fedora-repos-modular>,
> there is a time to look at different ways how to package alternative content.
>
> There are few aproaches, like compat packages, or full namespacing (Python).
> Yet modularity had some unique features, especially retaining nonmangled
> package names and other RPM dependencies.
>
> I spent some time thinking how to approximate the nice features with current
> state of RPM, Koji, and DNF and come up with this approach
> <https://ppisar.fedorapeople.org/postmodular/>. The linked approach achieves
> it at the expense of dedicated build targets and an inability to introduce
> completely new modules (as opposite to new streams of existing modules) after
> releasing an installation media.

I like the proposal, it gives us nearly all the benefits of modularity
without the complexity introduced by modular repos and MBS.

I have one question about this part:

> The only drawback is one have to decide before GA which software will
> have an alternative content and create meta-packages for the default
> streams. Otherwise, users installing from GA media and upgrading later
> could get installed a nondefault stream.

Why is that?

Wouldn't the process work as follows:
- you create your packages, the metapackage and add them to
  fedora-release
- users upgrading from GA will get the new fedora-release with the
  proper Suggests:
- users installing from a respin will have the proper Suggests: from the
  beginning

The only way that I see how this could go sideways is the scenario where
you switch what the default stream is after GA. But I thought that was
forbidden by policy anyway?

Thanks for this proposal!

Dan