Re: Modules without modularity

Hi,

Le 13/06/2023 à 18:32, Petr Pisar a écrit :

I spent some time thinking how to approximate the nice features with current
state of RPM, Koji, and DNF and come up with this approach
<https://ppisar.fedorapeople.org/postmodular/>.

First thanks for your work on this

I also thinking a lot about this, and this is a nightmare

I must say that I'm terribly sad we have to reinvent the wheel.

I'm still a big fan of SCL and I still build them for Fedora
to be able to install multiple versions simultaneously

# LANG=C dnf list php??
Installed Packages
php74.x86_64     7.4-3.fc37.remi
php80.x86_64     8.0-3.fc37.remi
php81.x86_64     8.1-4.fc37.remi
php82.x86_64     8.2-5.fc37.remi
php83.x86_64     8.3-1.fc37.remi

Complexity is for packagers and users.

I'm also a big fan of modules.
It just works well.

# dnf module list php
Remi's Modular repository - Fedora 37 - x86_64
Name Stream Profiles Summary
php      remi-7.4     common [d], devel, minimal             PHP
php      remi-8.0     common [d], devel, minimal             PHP
php      remi-8.1 [e] common [d], devel, minimal             PHP
php      remi-8.2     common [d], devel, minimal             PHP

Complexity is only for build system.

I will probably never understand hostility from the community
against this (bad feeling because of initial broken implementation ?)

Perhaps Fedora, with its very short life, don't really needs alternative
versions, while a long life distro obviously needs it.

Your approach will move complexity back to packagers.

I'm also very concerned by the "vendor" approach

(or <stream> being  vendor-number, as with module)

It seems also need to manage dependency with a stack or with a specific stream.

Ex:
An application will require the default stack (build and run)
An extension of the stack will require the specific stream (build and run)

What about CI ?

An application will be build will one stream (default)
but we probably need to test it with all available streams.

And perhaps have to use (because not compatible with 3)
Requires: (stream-stack-default or stream-stack-2)

What about reviews ?

If I want to create  stream-stack-3, with 100 packages ?

For now, there is a review exception for compatibility packages
for "older" version, but not for newer version.

Only my initial comments

Regards,
Remi