Re: Orphaning despite having maintainers?

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Policy_for_inactive_packagers/

https://src.fedoraproject.org
>and "Take" that packager to become the new
>main admin/owner.

My concern is that for packages that have more than one maintainer, no
notification that the packages will be orphaned has happened to them.

Notifying the other maintainers is actually a part of the normal nonresponsive maintainer process (https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Policy_for_nonresponsive_package_maintainers/#steps, Week 1 step 1). So I think this was probably just an oversight in the drafting of the mass removal process.

This is a pretty bad situation. Take, for example, cifs-utils. It had
six maintainers, including inactive admin at that point. None of the
maintainers except the inactive person received any notification that
the package was going to be orphaned.

I understand the logic behind 'no automated promotion' but the current
logic in the process is effectively not treating existing maintainers as
worth anything.

I see this as a problem with the policy and I am raising this issue as I
believe we should fix the policy.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer