Re: Orphaning despite having maintainers?

On ke, 26 huhti 2023, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 9:04 AM Alexander Bokovoy <abokovoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

This morning I woke up to find that packages I maintain were orphaned
out of blue. Nobody contacted the maintainers, nobody raised any tickets
to releng, as far as I can see. Yet, releng ran the orphaning from what
I saw in a few bugs.

What is happening? Who and how made those decisions?

Removing inactive packagers (who have not
made any package updates, nor responded to
direct emails, for an extended period are removed
from the packagers group as part of good
security hygiene per:
 https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Policy_for_inactive_packagers/

It is an artifact of that fact that in Fedora, packages
have only one main admin, and when that packager
is removed from the packagers group, their packages
get orphaned (there is no automated promotion,
and nor should there be, to select one of the other
maintainers, as that would also imply other
responsibilities that one might not want).  You (or
other interested packager) can go to:
 https://src.fedoraproject.org
and "Take" that packager to become the new
main admin/owner.

My concern is that for packages that have more than one maintainer, no
notification that the packages will be orphaned has happened to them.

This is a pretty bad situation. Take, for example, cifs-utils. It had
six maintainers, including inactive admin at that point. None of the
maintainers except the inactive person received any notification that
the package was going to be orphaned.

I understand the logic behind 'no automated promotion' but the current
logic in the process is effectively not treating existing maintainers as
worth anything.

I see this as a problem with the policy and I am raising this issue as I
believe we should fix the policy.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer