Re: subarchitectures and RISC-V, was Re: F39 proposal: RPM 4.19 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 08:38:47AM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:

> On 4/15/23 00:10, David Abdurachmanov wrote:
>

> > We have to support SCBs as-is. We even have 64-core OoO (and even
> > dual-socket 128-core) systems coming that are still RVA20 (what I call
> > "a large scale SBC trying to be a server").
> I think elsewhere you suggested treating the profile as the subarch for RPM.
> That may be a viable way to handle the SBC space.
>
> I still worry about supporting multiple profiles and would like to see a
> clear path to deprecating profiles that are out of date.  The amount of pain
> I've seen in both the x86 and aarch worlds WRT baselines is something I'm
> keen to avoid repeating.

Yeah, completely agreed. From an infrastructure standpoint, I would love
to get riscv in fedora as a primary arch, but I don't think it's
practical at all to bring in 3 or 4 or whatever subarches. There's just
no hardware that could actually keep up with mainline fedora currently
and the duplication of effort building 23,000 packages over N slightly
different subarches is not very tenable.

The rpm subarches might be a useful path, but then determining what you
build for multiple of them and how needs to be addressed.

I think we can point people to arm history and try and get them to not
repeat it (although perhaps it's too late for a lot of it).

> > But Fedora RISCV as-is is not how future Fedora RISCV should be. The
> > future is RVA23 (or beyond) and standard compliance. There will be
> > significant performance differences between profiles for some time.
> > Especially RVA20 -> RVA23. RVA20 (or RVA64GC) is just way too small
> > with lack of modern ISA. We have had a toy for ~10 years now, and now
> > we are moving toward high-performance servers, even HPC, Android (see
> > latest Google announcements), etc. That's not driven by RVA20. That's
> > RVA23 (and beyond) + vendor extensions.

Completely agree.

> > Yes! Blocked by lack of "hw probe" interface. There will be "hw probe"
> > syscall for RISCV, in v6.4 and v6.5 kernel (I hope). We don't have
> > cpuid instruction, HWCAP is way too small for all the extensions
> > available.
> I'm sure folks will get this sorted out.  My only concern with the syscall
> was to make sure the glibc folks were on board with using that to drive
> ifunc selection.  It's a fairly different approach than has been taken in
> the past and I want to make sure it's not DOA for glibc.
>
> Once the kernel & glibc teams reach API agreement I think we'll be able to
> make a reasonable query about the system properties in multiple contexts,
> including the installer, rpm, etc.

That would be great.

> > Note that toolchains don't accept RISCV Profiles yet, but that has
> > been under discussion for quite some time already. I would assume
> > starting GCC 14 timeframe all of that should work.
> It'll get sorted out.  We've got some bigger fish to fry WRT landing V
> support (if you've managed to avoid that mess, consider yourself lucky).
>
> Lots of stuff is backed up behind getting gcc-13 out the door so that gcc-14
> development can open up.   Not sure where profiles will fall into the
> priority list, it's hard to see past the V effort right now.

Yep. And a lot of it is things that just need to mature and hardware
that needs to exist and code and... ;) But hopefully we will get there.

kevin