Re: fedpkg: Failed to get repository name from Git url or pushurl -> %build

On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 11:14:34PM +0000, Kenneth Goldman wrote:
> Let's see if I have this right ...
>
> %build
> %configure
> %make_build
>
> are not three separate steps.  %build is the overall step, and the next two lines
> are the build steps.  The blank line terminates the %build.  Correct?

An unfortunate happenstance of RPM is that spec file script sections and
macros both start with the % character.  The main script sections are:

%prep %build %install %check %pre %post %preun %postun
(there are some others)

Some other sections that aren't scripts are:

%files %changelog %package

Other words that start with % are macros. That's what these are:

%setup
%autosetup
%configure
%make_build
%make_install

> Where are the macros defined?  I.e., %configure probably expands
> to ./configure and %make_build to make.

/usr/lib/rpm/macros
/usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/*

> If I want to add some arguments to configure,

%configure --argument1 --argument2 etc.

> and add an autoreconf step before configure, how would I do that?

I don't think there are any autoconf/autoreconf macros.  You just run
it directly, e.g:

%build
autoreconf -iv
%configure
%make_build

Sometimes the upstream source includes a script to do all the right
things with autoconf/autoreconf:

%build
./autogen.sh
%configure